Wednesday, June 13, 2012

DAYS 92-100 Recovery

While wearing the heart monitor 24/7 for 30 days was irritating and sometimes a nuisance, I can think of far more worse things that some folks need to wear and for far longer, for example a poop bag or artificial limbs. 

It feels good to no longer have electrodes stuck to my chest with gooey stuff, no more dangling and tangled wires hanging from my body, no more carrying around the sensor and the designated cell phone that transmitted constantly and needed to be recharged several times during the day.  It also feels good to be off the heart drugs and not have to fight side effects caused by the medications. 

The most frustrating part of the whole heart monitor ordeal was that I was monitored for less than half of the 30 days that I wore it.  The cardio-surgeon specified a 30-day monitoring, but when the cardiologist's technician set up the enrollment he mistakenly ordered it for only 14 days.  

The heart monitoring gods in Chicago left me a message this week saying that since I had already sent back their equipment, they'll send me another set so I can finish my 30 days.  First of all, I have not returned their original equipment since I was waiting for the cardiologist to determine if he had gotten enough info, and secondly, there's no way I'm wearing and dealing with that gear for an additional two weeks.  My heart is being monitored three days a week while I'm at cardio-rehab, so if it does go back into atrial fibrillation, surely they'll detect it there.

Not wanting to be overcharged for this monitoring since I received only 14 of the 30 days of service, I contacted Life Watch and was told the cost was the same. Believing they were scamming me I checked with a couple of other sources and was told the same thing.  This makes no sense at all.  I'll never understand medical billing.  Though I probably wouldn't be too wrong in thinking they charge whatever they can get away with.  

Meds:   Coumadin, Vayacog, L-Carnitine, Vitamin D, I-Caps, Flax seed oil, Multivitamin, Lutein, Hawthorne, Garlic, B-12 

1 comment:

Bill Wrigley said...

Good news..You have your dander up and in a fighting mode..You must be getting closer to the end of this ordel.