Thursday, October 11, 2012

Days 204 - 219 Recovery

I almost feel human after getting two full nights sleep in a row.  The throbbing pain from my broken ankle went up into my leg.  Because it's been more pronounced at night, getting beyond three hours sleep has been hard to come by the past four weeks.  Two rounds of antibiotics finally wiped out the skin infection and most of the swelling is gone, so I feel I've gotten over the hump. The only pain I feel now is centered in the ankle area caused by the break and the surrounding torn ligaments. 

I received discouraging news yesterday, though, when the orthopedic doc said x-rays showed that so far the bone shows no evidence of fusing.  Age is a factor in bone growth.  Fifteen year olds can have bone fusion in just a couple of weeks. Since I'm a very long way from fifteen, I'll need lots more time and patience.   He wants me to return after another four weeks for more x-rays.  In the meantime I need to keep my ankle iced several times during the day until the swelling is completely gone.  I also need to do some ankle flexing exercises a couple times a day to help restore full range of motion.  Looks like there won't be any tutus and tights in my future.  This will probably kill my dream of becoming a ballerina. 

I won't be kicking my big black superhero boot anytime soon.  The doc wants me to continue wearing it all the time except in bed.  I'm becoming more proficient in walking in it and only use crutches when going up and down stairs.  Right now slopes are out of the question as they scare me too much. Since most of our property is slopped, I can't get up to the barn or down to the duck's pen.  I'm confined to the flat area where the cabin, the flower beds, and the greenhouse are located.  This will have to do for now.  

Meds:   Coumadin, Amiodarone, Cardizem,  Vayacog, L-Carnitine, Vitamin D, I-Caps, Flax seed oil, Multivitamin, B-12, L-Arginine, DHEA, Calcium, Glucosamine

No comments: