Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DAYS 126-147 Recovery

A week ago I would have summed up my condition in one word - exhausted!  Exhausted everyday and in every way, but this week, thanks to the encouragement of a dear friend who has become my cheerleader, I can truly say that everyday in every way, I'm getting better and better.  I still go to cardio-rehab through one of the local hospitals three days per week. I started the program in April and will graduate Friday.  While there I push my body to the max toward rebuilding strength and endurance.  The guys give me a hard time telling me that I'm making them look bad.  At home I do pretty much the same thing.  Last week I was wheeling a pickaxe to break through our rock laced soil in order to dig an 18-inch deep trench to plant shrubs.  My strength and muscles are slowly returning, but my endurance has a way to go.  I do something, then rest, do something, then rest.  This means I'm slow but given enough time I do get stuff done.  All this work to improve my body comes at the expense of my mind.  My minimal mental energy doesn't accomplish much more than writing the grocery list, thumbing through magazines, and playing word games with my husband.  Even "doing" Facebook seems overwhelming to me.  After completing the rehab program this week, I'll still be working out at a gym a couple of days a week through the Silver Sneaker program supported by my health insurance company, but my physical focus will be running, walking at first, one mile up that mountain road in an effort to reach my "Rocky moment."  My mental focus will be to catch up on long overdue answers to emails, messages, letters, and this blog.  

Meds:   Coumadin, Vayacog, L-Carnitine, Vitamin D, I-Caps, Flax seed oil, Multivitamin, Lutein, Hawthorne, Garlic, B-12, L-Arginine, DHEA, Resveratrol 

1 comment:

auntie said...

You are doing it! Just don't forget to look behind you once in awhile and see how many steps you have taken. You have come a long way, baby (in the words of an old advertisement) Don't focus on the long way you have yet to go.
Layn and I are pulling for you everyday and he now keeps you in his prayers too.