Tuesday, May 29, 2012

DAYS 76-85 Recovery

Going into open heart surgery I knew I'd end up with a wicked scar down the center of my chest.  That I was prepared for.  What I wasn't prepared for was coming out of the hospital with the body I expected to have when I reached 90.  Now there's nothing wrong with a 90-year old body on a 90-year old, but I was expecting to have at least a couple of decades before my body reached that level of depreciation.  With lack of activity during many of the 18 days I was hospitalized because I was on bed rest due to having blood clots in one of my lungs, my muscles atrophied into mush. That combined with the sudden loss of 16 pounds left me sporting the skin and bones look.  It would be bad enough if my skin was taut, but the texture has changed and it sags, which is quite a sorry sight.  What else could it do since it no longer has any fat or muscle to support it. 

At first I wasn't convinced I would ever have the energy and strength to do the physical work required to rebuild my body.  Now that I've been in cardio rehab for five weeks, pushing myself to work hard, I'm beginning to see results, but only in my legs where the muscles are once again becoming firm.  The rest of my body, especially my arms have a long way to go. 

Edith Wilma Connor, who didn't start working out until in her 60's, and now at age 77 is the world's oldest bodybuilder, has given me new inspiration.  I have no desire to reach the level of fitness she has achieved.  My goal is to be able to carry a 50-lb sack of goat feed uphill to the barn.  Like I said before, I don't want to end up being one of those 70-yr old ladies who lifts nothing heavier than a tea cup. 


Meds:   Coumadin, Vayacog, L-Carnitine, Vitamin D, I-Caps, Flax seed oil, Multivitamin 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Might want to start with a 25 lb bag of goatmeal PW or perhaps find something that needs to go downhill first! Loud music helps, rock on!

auntie said...

And so you shall. Your determination and drive are the first ingredients required to build those muscles (forget the fat, take it from one who knows).