Friday, February 17, 2012

DAY 4 Pre-Op

If all goes well the surgery will take about 3 1/2 hours.  That's ok, I have 3 1/2 hours that I don't mind using for this purpose. But really, I can think of about a bazillion other things I'd rather be doing than having my sternum sawed in half and cracked open.  That, my friends, has a high level of suckitude.  But wait, there's more.  I could potentially be under anesthesia for a total of six or more hours because prior to the surgeon making his grand entrance, I'll need to be chilled down to about 82 degrees while they hook me up to a heart-lung machine.  In some rare cases, not mine I hope, the brain is completely unhooked for a short time.  I draw the line right there.  If you suspect I'm squeamish about having my brain messed with, you got it.   So you see the preparation can add another couple of hours and then when it's over they have to warm me back up and I have no idea how long that could take, although I do like to think of myself as a pretty hot mama, so maybe it won't take so long after all. 

Meds:  Last day for Pradaxa (blood thinner)

10 comments:

ThomasinaTRP said...

See, the open heart surgery doesn't freak me out so much, but the cracking open of the chest does... that will take some healing time. I hope they give you some good drugs during the recovery period :)
It sounds so barbaric to chill the patient so much, but when you hear of the survival of kids that survive an hour under water after falling through ice, it makes sense. At least you will be unaware of all of it at the time. Darryl, however, will just need to pace for hours.
I wish for brilliant doctors, compassionate nurses, and a speedy recovery.
Teresa

Maggie Tz. said...

You are definitely "a pretty hot mama". :) I'll be keeping you and Darryl in my thoughts. Hugs, hugs and more hugs for you both.
When you feel up to it, I'll come for a visit and we can have a small Ponderer's session about the whole experience.
~Maggie

Denise said...

I agree...."a pretty hot mama"...you are!!
~One of the Bunco Babes~~Denise

auntie said...

You make me glad that I don't have a heart. One less thing to get cut open. I mean they have cut on every other part of me over the years. You will be in my prayers on Tuesday but I suspect that you are like me and much to ornery (in a good way) not to survive this and come out swinging.

Julie said...

Hot Mama... Indeed! Looking forward to visiting you in Sylva. When you need more fudge just let me know :)
Blessings & big hugs.
Julie

Peggy Wolf said...

Fudge? Did someone say fudge?

Oh, Julie, Darryl and I would both love to see you, but don't go to Sylva because we're in Saluda. You're one of many who confuses this.

Peggy Wolf said...

Hey, Auntie, what's this not having a heart stuff? Are you trying to pose as the Tin Man of OZ? You have the largest most loving heart of anyone I know. May it never break.

Peggy Wolf said...

Maggie, I like that.

auntie said...

I am beyond flattered by you comment on my blog. Especially at this time when I seem to be suffering from a bad case of writers constipation. Everything that I have to write for school has to be birthed, literally. Everything that comes off my sewing machine has to be faught for and hard won. I know the cause but I haven't a clue what the cure is. (don't suggest prunes that has already been tried!)

Peggy Wolf said...

Teresa, the correct temp, which is 82 degrees,
doesn't sound quite so barbaric. I probably won't need my blankie after all.