Thursday, February 16, 2012

DAY 5 Pre-Op


I've been through a lot the last three years.  In addition to my husband's car getting totaled by a  truck that rammed full speed into us while we were stopped at a stop sign, my son's Ford Explorer spontaneously self-ignited several hours after he got out of it, burning it to a crisp and burning the back half of his girlfriend's car and igniting a corner of her house.  Ford accepted no responsibility.  We lost my father-in-law, and several dear pets, I was diagnosed with macular degeneration, my 24-yr old son died a violent death, our house burned down with a beloved pet inside, and my 21 yr old son was attending school in Bangkok when the riots broke out, spreading throughout the city toward the area of his apartment building. It seems like there was more, but geez, I can't remember everything.  I'm sure some good stuff happened too, but like I said I can't remember everything.  The cardiologists said I had a heart attack some time in there, but I was too distraught to notice. 

So heart surgery is no big deal.  Just add it to all the other stuff I've survived. If this keeps up I'll be well on my way to surviving damn near everything. Does the Guinness Book of Records have a category for that?   But once again I have to look at the big picture, look deeper and past myself and also beyond this First World country.  Compared to those surviving war, cancer, concentration camps, starvation ... man, I'm just a piker.  From that perspective, me setting a record is so out of the question. I'd be eliminated in the first round.   

Meds:  Last day for fish oil (it has a blood thinning effect)

5 comments:

Darryl said...

What a great opportunity for a change of heart.

ThomasinaTRP said...

Peggy,
Grandma Langworthy keeps going to the hospital for pnemonia...seems like she is in for a week, then out for a few weeks. She is 91, and keeps on chugging. "I'm hanging in there kiddo" is what she told me yesterday.
You too one day will be a grand old 91 year old once they get you all fixed up.
I think it is almost easier to be the patient then to watch. The people watching and waiting always feel so helpless. At least the patient gets knocked out!
You have friends and family that love you, and will help you emotionally. You have had bad years, but I am hoping that you have only blue skies and smooth sailing going forward.

Peggy Wolf said...

Teresa- Yes, I'm expecting blue skies, green lights, and smooth sailing leading me all the way into my ninth decade and maybe beyond. I'd love to think I had even a smidgeon of Grandma L's fortitude and chutzpah. I have such admiration, love and respect for that beautiful woman. May she remain with us in better health for many more years. Let her know I'm chanting her motto, "I'm hanging in there kiddo."

Ilene said...

How about if we chant it with you, Peggy. "Hang in there, kiddo!"

Maggie Tz. said...

I agree with Darryl's comment wholeheartedly. ;)