Wednesday, February 15, 2012

DAY 6 Pre-Op


I don't want anyone to be feeling sorry for me this coming Tuesday morning when I'm heading to the OR.  My part is easiest of all, I just have to lie there.  Heck, I won't even know what, if anything, is going on. Feel for the medical staff.  Think about them having to deal with all that gore.  Sure, we look all pretty and well put together on the outside, but it gets really messy on the inside. On second thought, don't feel sorry for them either.  They'll be so darn busy trying to avoid killing the patient (that's me) that their time's going to slip right by.  Three and half hours will be over before they know it.  The person you really need to feel sorry for is the family member, in my case my husband, Darryl, who is sitting out there in the "waiting for patients" section of the waiting room, because he's already had too much bad hospital coffee and a numb butt from sitting on a straight back, under-stuffed chair through 3 hours of the operation prep and is facing at least another 3 1/2 hours until the surgery is over.  

I've been spoiled by the public and private hospitals in the Raleigh and Asheville NC areas.  Grand foyers, clean beautiful waiting areas with high ceilings and mammoth flower arrangements, can't tell the hallways from ritzy art galleries, sparkling clean lounges with comfy lounge chairs, interesting magazines, not Family Circle from 3 years ago with all the good recipes already torn out, agile volunteers who bring  flavorful coffee, a smile, and offer blankets and pillows, spic and span clean, soothing piped music, and did I mention how clean they are?   Well, in SC at this particular hospital and one other I've been to,  not so much, not even close.   My husband said it's about me, not him, but still.  To be fair, I must add that this SC hospital has a stellar staff and I know management is putting their money where it counts most and it's all about my heart.

Meds:  Pradaxa, diuretic, beta blocker, anti-depressant, fish oil, vitamins and supplements

6 comments:

Peggy Wolf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ThomasinaTRP said...

Peggy, the world is a grander, better place because you are here. There have been studies that show that people who are prayed about do better than those who aren't prayed for (independent of whether the person knew about the prayer). I will be praying for you. We both know that life/God has its own plan, so I will pray for courage and strength to handle whatever may come your way.

ThomasinaTRP said...

Peggy,
My earlier statement might be more meaningful if you know that ThomasinaTRP = Teresa I sometimes think of the Disney movie Thomasina, or was is "The nine Lives of Thomasina" (from the 60's), where the cat says, "and so I started my third life..."
Teresa

Ilene said...

Peggy, I will be thinking of you. I went through some serious surgery in 2000 and I know how fearful it can be. Four years ago when I found out I had cancer, I was told to think of my doctors and nurses as friends who just wanted to help me get better. That bit of advice really helped. Laughter helps too. If I had handsome young nurses I "flirted" with them (since I'm an old lady I can get away with it - nobody takes me seriously). The joking around helped ease the fear. It's hard to be afraid when you're laughing with someone. By the way, the surgeons LOVE all that icky, inside stuff. And I'm glad. You want them loving it because then their heart is in their work, fixing YOUR heart.

And my John knows what your Darryl is going through. Tell him to bring books, good snacks, and a thermos of good coffee. It'll help. Let him know we'll be thinking about him, Peggy. I know he doesn't know us but sometimes knowing there's others thinking of you (even if they're on the other side of the country) can bring some comfort. As humans we need connection. And I know you have many wonderful friends who care about you and are praying for you too. I know Roy is praying for you and his prayers seem to go well. He's prayed for John and he got better. So when John got sick again, I just called Roy. I just do whatever works, ya know?

I'm looking forward to your "Rocky moment"!

Ilene

Julie said...

Bless your heart. I'll keep you & your medical team in my thoughts and prayers.

Richard said...

I'm in shock, Peggy. Not about the surgery; Darryl brought me up to speed on that already. I'm sure it will go just fine, and soon enough you'll be bouncing down the road again chasing the goats. What I can't believe is that you apparently have a coop-full of chicken jokes you haven't shared with me... totally unacceptable! So, get all this surgery stuff out of the way, so I can pop up for a visit with a couple bottles of wine and hear a few poultry puns! :-)
Richard