Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DAY 8 - Recovery


This was by far my most challenging day.  After a marathon night of coughing and, at most, two hours of sleep, I attended the cardio rehab orientation. There was no way I could do any walking today.  It took every ounce of my strength and will power just to hold my body upright in a seated position during the one-hour session.  This medically supervised program, which offers  custom tailored rehabilitation exercises meets for one hour three days per week for three months.  Most of the work is done on treadmills, stationary bikes and various other fitness machines.  Statistically women are poor participants.  Most of those that do begin, become dropouts. There are some doctors that don't even refer women to the program.  In my group of six today, I was the only woman.  One other was supposed to be there but no-showed.  Two weeks in a hospital bed and many days of not being able to eat has taken a devastating toll on my body.  Surprisingly my hair and nails have had a growth spurt. Being rail thin, I'm lost in my clothes and what little muscle is left has a disgusting soft and squishy feel.  I'm really looking forward to this rehab program and hope to begin in a couple of weeks once my doctors give me the go ahead.  I just hope it's possible at my age to rebuild muscle and restore fitness to my aging body.  I don't want to be one of those frail little 70-year olds who lift nothing heavier than a tea cup.  I have too many more horses to ride, mountain trails to hike, fences to build, and land to till.

From the rehab orientation we met with my local cardiologist.  An EKG showed my heart working beautifully.  My lungs sounded clear except for congestion in the bronchial area.  The pain in my lungs continues and has become worse this evening. 

We stopped by the lab at the cardiologist's office to have my Coumadin level checked.  Coumadin is the blood thinner med I'm taking because of the blood clots. The reading was dangerously high, which means my blood is dangerously thin.  No running with scissors for me and no playing with any other sharp objects.  I have to go back on Thursday for a recheck.

Meds:  Multaq, Bupropion, aspirin 81mg, Furosemide, Namenda, Metroprolol, Zantac, potassium, multivitamin, vitamin D, I-Caps, Tramadol/Apap, Temazepam, Mucinex

1 comment:

auntie said...

Take heart (pun intended) your determination should carry you through. Everyday that you get up and move around is one day closer to freedom from pain.